Monday 23 April 2007

Political Responsibility

For a while, I thought that We in Kuwait suffer from political apathy. I thought we didn't care. That everyone wanted to go about their business, as long as their immediate needs are met.

Why not, I presumed. So what, I thought. At the end, all we need is that: A space and time to live comfortably, and hopefully happily.

However, now, I'm more inclined to think that we are less than that absent-minded stereotype. I now think we are actually consumed with politics,but another sort of politics.

The sort of politics that is closer to our culture: We like to talk about people.

We talk about individuals. We talk about them and what they said. We pin our hopes on them, and we follow them almost without question. We risk it all, for the person. Even when dashed, we rise up to live another day to curse another. We idealise, and then forget. Or worse get disappointed, and even hate. Even worse, we listen to the ones who romance a wonderfully blissful false state of being, and think we can become better by emulating a narrated idealised dream.

I wonder if that trait in us is being manipulated. I wonder if how we interact is being sinisterly manufactured.

I doubt it. I don’t subscribe to these grandiose master-planned big-brained with a stroked-cat stereotyped visions.



Although, I believe some people depend on this deficiency in us, and expect it in us. Look back. Read our history. Listen closely to what we say about each other.

So, until the day we wake up, and understand that this blah-noisy words we discuss are fodder for the comfortably-satisfied and the hungry-opportunist, we will never get to fix anything.

No wonder some of us are devoted to religion.

Until we wake up, grow, and mature - this bit piece of a democracy will never be.

Let's talk constructively. Let's talk about issues. Let's propose solutions. Let's debate positions. Let us understand where we stand in this mist of self-imposed confusion. Clarity, direction, a target to aspire to. We need that. We need that sort of idealism.

Nothing more, and definitely nothing less!

So, out of responsibility, and in the spirit of 36, I list:
  • Debate the publication law. We all know that it was a compromise. It was about liberating the right to publish, yet it was cursed with limitations. Well, then let's propose alternatives. So, instead of saying "oh, I hate it!" I, for my self, I think this topic is too fresh, and I still don't know if there are real practical consequences to this law. However, we got to watch out for any consequences. And when and if we cross a threshold, then the legitimacy of this law needs to be reviewed in the court. The issue right now, is that we have censorship within departments of ministries, and that says a lot more than the law itself!
  • Plans. I'd like real plans for what the government is proposing to do for the next stage of development. I read that that is being developed, so let’s hope the government will live up to it, and that our MPs will scrutinise the plans and analyse and validate them. Also, I'd like the "تكتلات" to come up with plans. Public. Meet as you like, but tell us what you want for this country in the years to come
  • I’d like to see our laws enforced on ALL, and when they don't then I'd like to have a free venue for it to be exposed. To understand if there was a need to bend a law, and if so, then it's an opportunity to fix the law. A real venue, not any court, but the court of law
  • I'd like to privatise more of the government services. Wherever and however. I believe that the more we include in a healthy competition, the better we are. Plus, the better we are equipped as a skilled work force for the future
  • Challenge the laws that restrict public expressions. Like festivities and mixing. How did it come to that?! Wake up! This topic has profound implications – it has consequences on morale before morality. Within it there is a real debate about "عادات وتقاليد" which has been abused too frequently to shame us into submission to the ill-informed. Let's understand that tradition is to respect and honour, but also it's to build upon as basis of true development, not to be captive of!
  • Much more…

I'll stop. That sounded like a manifesto! :) All I wanted to say, is that, before we start to talk about a person: for praise or hate. And before we complain about how things are. Let's understand what we want. We got hijacked by a principled+opportunist gang – cause they knew clearly what they wanted.

We have no right to complain, unless we come up with brave solutions and publicly propose, and stand by them. Why are we on the defence? Why are we in a corner?! What is democracy for, when we are silent!

I wonder

16 Comments:

Blogger iDip said...

I couldn't have said it better myself!

you're absolutely right. Some people think that freedom is the freedom to criticize only, while neglecting the essence of freedom & democracy.

The personalization of politics has gone too far in Kuwait, by both politicians & people.

Monday, April 23, 2007 3:28:00 pm  
Blogger UmmEl3yal said...

As a tribal society we are acustomed to building our loyalities around people rather than ideas, places or convictions.

We also depend on nature's cycles to survive, hence we are not used to "planning".

Our political reality is a reflection of our beduin roots. It needs education, enviromental pressures (genuine needs) and authentic leaders to break these patterns of thinking.

Monday, April 23, 2007 8:01:00 pm  
Blogger wonders.me said...

Thanks idip
Too far indeed. So far, that we actually feel happy when someone responds in words about someone else - totally forgetting what the subject was about!

I see that the Amir is meeting with the MPs and encouraging them to focus on the legislation, and asking them to give the ministry room for implementation.

Are you more optimistic that we might be turning around from being too far? Or do you think that we've seen all this before?

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 3:30:00 am  
Blogger wonders.me said...

Oh, wise one - ummel3yal

That's a damning , but very revealing statement.

It makes sense. I'd like to hope that we've gone through enough education to know better. Yet, it seems like education is still not enough. Perhaps, we also need experience (Can't we accelerate that?) :)

What do you mean by "environmental pressure (genuine needs)"? Like what? Or at least, what are the more likely/useful pressures?

Don't we already feel economic pressures from our inflated budget? Depleted oil reserves? Progress of neighbours?

Aren't we worried about political pressure about the region's stability? Let's not start with social pressures, and how people are ready to drive over each other on the road!

Or do you think that we still don't really feel these pressures? Or are we consumed by internal political pressures not to realise these pressures?

ياني ضغط!من ال
pressure
الشر مايوصلك
(:

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 3:56:00 am  
Blogger UmmEl3yal said...

Hi there :) I apologize up front for the long reply ;)

We gossip, in general, because it makes us feel good. It makes us feel better about ourselves by exploiting others' shortcomings. It makes us feel superior and hence enhances our self esteem! We take that to politics and we get ba6eekh :) It is a lot easier, less challanging and gives us "quick wins" against our opponent.

As for the enviromental pressures, I don't think they are high enough yet. Sometimes I feel good about the increase of cost of living and unemplyment rates because that what makes people move, think and take action. So far, thanks to the goverment "conditioning", people are taught that the more loyal they are the more help they will get (hence was6a, men7a, fdawiyah .. etc). But as pressures for basic needs increase, the goverment and the "khadamat" MPs will not be able to meet the demands and people are left on their own. This, hoepfully, will make them ACT.

As for experience and education, I am very optimistic about the new generation. People like you and many other who have been well educated, are well read and have great international exposure, are the hope for this country. I think the Orange movement is a great example. So to me, and after all I've seen the past 104 years, there is light in the end of the tunnel ;)

Thursday, April 26, 2007 6:48:00 am  
Blogger wonders.me said...

Please UmmEl3yal don't apologise. I look forward to your comments and wisdom, especially since you have the experience of 104 years! Mashaala! :)

It's sad that this paradise of a country is rotted by being plentiful.

Friday, April 27, 2007 4:58:00 pm  
Blogger White Wings said...

hay dear friend
i missed a post there, i can't believe it :)
i will sign your manifesto immediately, well said and excellent questions drawn at the end, if we find the answers, then we are at the right path for reformaiton
all of what you mentioned are doable, we really can, we just need to get to work and jump over obstcles with no thought of ever quiting..
so, any new plays you've attended lately?? :)

Saturday, April 28, 2007 6:19:00 am  
Blogger wonders.me said...

Hi WW
الحمد لله على السلامة
Yes. The posts come in bursts - and are especially timed for when you're away :) I'll send you my manifesto as soon as I'm done!

No, no new plays. There are many musicals, but that's not really for me. There is a play in which Harry Potter is in love with a horse. No, really, I'm not kidding! So, nothing yet. Some good exhibits though, but I still didn't get a chance to visit.

Going to your blog now to check on your trip, and about meeting one of my favorite singers!

Thursday, May 03, 2007 12:50:00 am  
Blogger Soud said...

of topic

حبيت اسلم عليك وآخذ أخبارك

:)

Friday, May 04, 2007 9:11:00 am  
Blogger White Wings said...

hay wonders
today, Suliman Al-Bassam is presenting at KU about his work, particularly his latest play that you saw..wish you were here

Sunday, May 06, 2007 9:14:00 am  
Blogger White Wings said...

i just read about the play through the link you left me, i would go :) it sounds interesting wonders, give it a try :)

Sunday, May 06, 2007 9:18:00 am  
Blogger wonders.me said...

هلا والله
soud
الحمد لله أخباري زينة، تسلم، انشالله انت بخير :)



'lo WW How was the presentation? I wish I could've been there. Wonder how he described the play. Any news about them getting it to Kuwait?

About Equus, I'm not sure. I've made fun of it to some friends. I'd have to take back what I said :) LOL, how about that as a reason not to see a play? Not convincing is it! :) Come visit, and I'll go with you!

Monday, May 07, 2007 11:27:00 pm  
Blogger White Wings said...

wonders
send a ticket and you'll find me on the next plane :)
and take back what you said, I do it all the time :) i try to be cute about it, it is working great so far- lol
presentation went great, good buz afterwards and yes there is an effort to bring it home, will let you know when i hear confirmed news
i think we have a tape of the presentation, i will see if i can secure you a copy
miss you serfing blogs, where are you??

Saturday, May 12, 2007 7:04:00 pm  
Blogger wonders.me said...

WW Where am I? I'm here. I've been looking around. Lately it seems there is a general calm down on blogs. Especially after Virgin. Perhaps everyone is entranced by whats happening in the Majlis :)

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 11:23:00 am  
Blogger White Wings said...

so you bug me about a new post and you're frozen in here :)
yalla, waiting for a new post

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 8:10:00 am  
Blogger wonders.me said...

So true! Completely frozen here!

OK, fair enough. Will post a quick one for now (which you might not enjoy very much), but promise another soon after :)

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 11:16:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home